Last update on Friday, February 5, 2010
READ THE DISCLAIMER BEFORE PROCEEDING.
Please note that VPN Case Study is not responsbile for any procedure that end user performs. Should you have an issue with your device and unit is still under the warranty, please contact correct manufacture support for further assistance.
Please note that not all router can be reocvered from improper firmware upgrade or Flashing !!
AT ANY GIVING TIME, DO NOT USE WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY TO UPGRADE/FLASH THE FIRMWARE!!USE
ONLY WIRED (ETHERNET CABLE ) TO YOUR ROUTER OR ACCESS POINT DEVICES.
Quick Q&A (PLEASE READ THIS Q&A BEFORE YOU CONTINUE)
- What if I don't have ethernet adapter to your PC?
- There are very few user that may own a PC that has not installed ethernet adapter. In general, most prebuild systems or motherboard do have buil-in ethernet adapters. If you are very few owner of PC that current do not have ethernet adapter installed on your PC, please go to your local computer shop and purchase one. Ethernet adpater are not expensive item any more.
- I don't want to buy ethernet adapter.
- Buying or not buying the ethernet adapter is your personal choice. If you are not purchasing ethernet adapter, PLEASE DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE!!! YOU WILL CORRUPT THE ROUTER
- I have upgrade using wireless in the past and it's working fine.
- Consider you were simply lucky.
- What broswer will work?
- PC Users:
- Use IE6/IE7 browser. Other browser such as FireFox, Opera, Safari for PC, etc are not recommended.
- Mac Users:
- Unfortunately for Mac users, Netgear's Routers Interface and Safari do not work quite well. That also goes with FireFox, Opera, etc specially.
Use routers interface for most settings are fine although when you ready to upgrade firmware, it can corrupt the upgrade by locking up or uploading bar never moves.
It is common that when locking up or uploading bar, most users will power off the router. This is when corrupt router occurs
- Best recommendation for Mac users is to use PC loading via Parallels or use other method of PC hooking to your router is the best choice for result you want to achieve
- Which router currently are Mac compatible for upgrading fimrware?
- There is no model from Netgear Home End Routers are fully compatible.
- Limited Prosafe model is Mac Compatible
- FVX538 with firmware version 3.0.3-17, 3.0.3-13.18
- FVS336G with firmware version 3.0.3-13.4
- If you have these models and prior version of firmware, please use PC with IE6/IE7 broswer to upgrade first. After these version, you should able to load using Mac Safari. Any other broswer is not tested .
- These models are more safe during the upgrade so if you feel you have lock up the upgrade, you should able to power off and back up firmware will still load.
- FVS318 not supported
- FVS114 not supported
- older prosafe router not supported
- Cannot Find or Cannot Download NETGEAR Files
Router Recovery Procedure & Custom Firmware
Recovering your Router from
- Router is not operating in normal manner
- Router is not operating or booting up after firmware upgrade
- Routers LED indication states "Lock up" or stuck on "Test" LED
Recovering your router from above symptoms can be attemp/fixed with certain models of Home End Routers and ProSafe Routers. Other models are technical not designed to be recover using other method usch as TFTP App. Netgear will not warranty the unit.
- DG Series Router *
- Click here from more info
- DG834v1, DG834v2, DG834Gv1 and DG834Gv2 Router Recovery Utility (Click here for utility)
Use this utility when the router's Power and Check light blink alternatingly after firmware upgrade using the usual Web-based method.( The utility requires a Windows PC (not UNIX or a Macintosh). This utility is tested for Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It may not work in other versions of Windows.)
To Recover the Router Firmware and Restore Normal Function
- You need one of the firmware update files in the "Downloads" section of your product's page
- Select your router here. Download a version of firmware (the latest one is usually best), and unzip the file. You need the file inside that ends with ".img" to use in Step 6.
- Download the recovery utility using the button below to a convenient place such as your desktop.
- Connect a single PC directly to the router using an Ethernet connection. If you had to download with a different computer, move the zip file to this PC connected directly to the router. Use this PC for the remaining steps.
- Unzip the downloaded file, putting everything that's extracted in the same directory.
- Move the ".img" firmware file that you download in preparation for this process into the same directory as in Step 5.
- Double-click UpgradeWizard.exe. The Recovery Utility starts.
- Click Next. A screen with "Adapter Card Lists" appears.
- Select the adapter whose Ethernet connection goes to the DG834. Note: Several cards may appear in the list including ones that are no longer installed on your computer, or are no longer used.
- Click Next.
- There should be one and only one item in the Device List. Click Next.
- Click Next.
- Click Upgrade. The utility recovers the router: EEPROM is erased, firmware is upgraded, then functionality is verified. A message appears that you are successful.
- Click Close to complete the recovery.
ProSafe FVX538V1, V2 models *
DG632 (third party reocvery tool) **-Standard disclaimer: Firmware can be used at own risk only. No responsibility for any damage
- Before each update disconnect DSL cable from Dg632, reboot it, update via Web interface,
- Wait update reaches 100% , make factory reset , connect DSL cable Back
- First update to NSPUpdate.Img it will setup all NVRAM variables changes and change DG632's IP to 192.168.1.1
- Then you can try my new ones, - you can test different DSP versions, to choose the best for your ISP
- Don't forget after NSPUpdate.Img - default IP is 192.168.1.1
- Firmware is forked from original sources:
- Changes against original source code:
- Default IP changed to auf 192.168.1.1
- LZMA instead 7ZIP Kernel compression
- SQFS 2.2
- TCP fix for Windows Vista
- LAN Telnet activated ñ so you can query statistics modem statistics: cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats ,
- check supported by modem modulations: cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_dsl_modulation_schemes etc. now
- ADSL DATA Pumps in different flavor (with Fast Path & RE-DSL support also)
- Better ADSL information in WEB interface
- MTU fix
- Firewall Fix
- USB is disabled. USB 1.1 build in DG632 is not suitable for ADSL2/2+ speed
- You can encode/decode saved router configuration files with cfgconv-0.3 (courtesy of McMCC) to change advanced settings
*These two models is documented in Netgear Support Page/Knowledge Base
**VPN Case Study do not support any of third party recovery or fimware mods
Useful tools to access your Router for firmware flashing
This tool can be used on most of routers to upload firmware but not all will accept this.
Standard disclaimer: Firmware can be used at own risk only. No responsibility for any damage
Here is baiscs on "How to"
Simple file transfer protocol, with the functionality of a very basic form of FTP
Tftpd32 includes DHCP, TFTP, SNTP and Syslog servers as well as a TFTP client.
The TFTP client and server are fully compatible with TFTP option support (tsize, blocksize and timeout), which allow the maximum performance when transferring the data.
Some extended features such as directory facility, security tuning, interface filtering; progress bars and early acknowledgments enhance usefulness and throughput of the TFTP protocol for both client and server.
The included DHCP server provides unlimited automatic or static IP address assignment.
- get the initial firmware for this version of router
- assign static IP to my computer (192.168.1.3)
- unplug (power) my router
- start a ping at router's address: ping -t 192.168.1.1
- power the router
- when replies (on windows machine) changed from Hardware error to "Request timed out" I started TFTP with command:
- tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT <firmware_imagename>
- wait 3 minutes, reboot router, everything fine